Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Weightloss Hypothesis

Hey there, it's me again. My last two days have been pure BUSY! Since I am a college student, I have a part time job. This job happens to be at Enterprise rent-a-car where I wash cars by hand. Sounds easy enough, but it is WAY more physically demanding than people give me credit for. (AND I WANT MY CREDIT!) So, I worked nonstop Friday, 7:30 am-6:30 pm, just to wake up early this morning and go to work again. Only for a few hours on Saturday, but sleep deprivation really hit me hard! Hehehe I digress, that's enough background story! So I had received a comment today that I hadn't heard in a month (when I first told people I was going vegan) I had gotten into a conversation with a customer about food somehow where I nonchalantly mentioned I am vegan. (I actually throw that around a lot because I am PROUD! XD) She raised her eyebrow at me and asked, "Is that some diet you are trying?"  I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does, especially since this is not the first time I have heard it. In fact, I was asked that by five different people in one day when I first announced to that I had chosen to become vegan. My favorite was my boss, "You know there are other ways to lose weight that allow you to keep meat in your diet, in fact they may be healthier." <-- no lie. Just because I said "No thanks, (to the cake) I have decided to go vegan recently."Why is it that as soon as you mention a change in diet that people assume it is for weight reasons? I feel that a lot of people are blinded by the diet hypes and fads to realize that there is more to what you eat than just calories and weight shifting. I feel that as a society that we have kind of lost the focus on what it means to eat and to nourish or bodies. There are bigger issues here folks! I suppose I am on this soap box because I am tired of people assuming that I am doing this because I want to alter my body somehow. I want people to hear that there are more important things to your food choices, such as the lives of poor animals! I never really know how to answer when I receive this kind of response when mentioning I am vegan. Of course I was kind and was actually able to say my bit, (and look like a hell of a good person too!) but sometimes the question is thrown in such a way that I am automatically taken aback. So I suppose my question to yall is this; Have you experienced this kind of reaction? What are yall's feeling on this sort of answer? Maybe I can get some light shed upon why people do respond that way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment